In the first months of this year, frozen catfish fillets imported by Poland mainly came from Vietnam, not from China as before. Pangasius from Vietnam accounted for 94 percent of the total volume of goods imported by the market. The remaining of 6 percent was imported from Denmark and Germany..
However, imports of catfish by Poland have tended to decline in recent years. Last year, import of some frozen whitefish fillets such as Alaska pollock, cod, hake and tilapia increased while frozen pangasius and catfish fillets by the country declined. However, the country increased imports of chilled & fresh fish fillets from Vietnam. In 2013, Poland imported 367 tons of chilled & fresh pangasius fillets from Vietnam, up 313 percent compared to 2012.
The economy is growing, people increase their incomes, the middle class of the country is also growing. The factors are driving the fish consumption of this country. Herring, pollock, salmon and cod are most consumed in Poland, accounting for 70 percent of the country’s seafood imports in 2012 (452,000 tons).
According to Vietnam Customs, pangasius exports to Poland in the first 4 months of this year valued at US$2.4 million, down nearly 52percent compared to US$ 5 million for the same period in 2013.
Increased demand of cod and Alaska pollock impacts to Poland’s pangasius exports decline. The fish fillet exports to the market are forecasted to continue to drop in coming months of this year.